So one day I saw this AMAZING Harry Potter quilt on Pinterest, and decided that I wanted to make my own version of it. Nod to the talent behind the quilt that inspired me!
So I got some good old-fashioned graph paper and started figuring out my layout. There were things I loved about the inspiration quilt, and things I wanted to add/change. Here’s the layout:
Next I needed to get some fabric together. I knew that I wanted simple, plain cotton fabrics that coordinated well together. Nothing too busy, just simple. I had a couple of fabrics I knew would work, but the rest I went to Hobby Lobby for. Because I had my layout already organized, I knew how much fabric I’d need. Here’s the palette I ended up with:
Like I said, I wanted to keep it simple, so that busy fabric wouldn’t distract from the shapes on each square.
Next, I started to plan each square in more detail, so that I’d have a better idea of what each image would look like.
I soon found out, however, that I didn’t really need to go into that much detail on each individual square, and that the original outline was sufficient (the Stag/Patronus square, for example, was done without planning an individual square drawn out first).
At this point I’m ready to start making individual squares. I was most excited to draw the Stag/Patronus, so I didn’t even bother to draw the individual plan like I mentioned. I used double-sided iron-on paper, where I measured out the size of the square (1 square on the overall layout = 2 inches for me). The Stag ended up being too wide for me to fit it onto my iron-on paper, so I had to split it in half, and then iron the halves onto the white fabric, cut it out, and then ironed it onto the blue square. Here’s how it turned out:
I used a silver thread to give it the extra shimmer you’d expect from a Patronus.
I’m pretty happy with how it turned out, and I’m excited to keep working on it! More squares to come!
Can’t wait to see it finished!
You and me both! I’m a novice, so it may be a slow process 😁
Take your time.
Good advice – thanks!